Indonesia Travel Guide – Nothing beats the Komodo Island in terms of exotic animals, beautiful beaches and amazing underwater lives. Not surprisingly, it is considered as one of the best tourist attractions in Indonesia. Are you planning to visit the island soon? If you do, our brief guide here can help you. We will tell you how to get to the island, things to do and where to stay.
How to Get to Komodo Island
To get to the Island, you will need to Labuan Bajo first. There are two ways you can go to Labuan Bajo: boarding a flight from Jakarta or Bali.
If you are from Jakarta, take a flight to Komodo Airport from Soekarno Hatta International Airport. The flight should take about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
If you are from Bali, take a flight to Komodo Airport from Ngurah Rai International Airport. The flight should take about 1 hour and 35 minutes.
After you get to Labuan Bajo, you will need a boat to get to the Island. With a wooden boat, it takes about 5 hours to reach the island while with a speedboat it takes about 2 to 3 hours.
Here are the details of fee on Komodo Island:
- Entrance fee (weekdays): IDR 5,000 for locals and USD 10.20 for foreigners
- Entrance fee (weekends and holidays): IDR 7,500 for locals and USD 25.30 for foreigners
- Wildlife observation: IDR 10,000 (about USD 0.70)
- Local government: IDR 20,000 for locals and USD 3.40 for foreigners
- Snorkeling: IDR 20,000 (about USD 1.36)
- 2Ranger Fee: IDR 80,000 (about USD 5.45)
- Diving: IDR 25,000 (about USD 1.10)
- Trekking: IDR 5,000 (about USD 0.35)
What things to do in Komodo Island
There are lots of things you can do on and around the island. Here are some examples:
- Visit the Komodo National Park
First and foremost thing to do is to visit the Komodo National Park. This park is enormous, consisting of small islands, one of them being Komodo Island. The island is home to Komodo Dragons, which you will be able to see closely.
- Trek on the Padar Island
Want to see a breathtaking view from above? Go to the Padar Island and trek to its summit. At the summit, you will see the beautiful island surrounded by bright sand and crystal clear water. The trekking will be tough, so be prepared. Bring your hiking shoes and water.
- Enjoy the Pink Beach
If you want to see the beauty of Mother Nature, the Pink Beach is a must visit. The pink-colored sand and the crystal clear water create a stunning view you don’t want to miss.
- See the Amazing Marine Life at Manta Point
The National Park is home of the world’s best snorkeling spots. At Manta Point, you can see various magnificent underwater creatures. Of course, among them are manta rays.
- Scuba Dive around the Komodo National Park
There are just so many scuba diving spots in Komodo Island. Even if you are a beginner diver, you will be able to enjoy the diving experience.
- Enjoy the Cuisines
Labuan Bajo is full of places where you can enjoy delicious cuisines. For example,
- Atlantis on the Rock (price range: USD 3 to USD 20)
- Bajo Bay Fisherman Club (price range: USD 2.70 to 10.12)
- Kopi Mane Inspiration (price range: USD 0.66 to 1.97 for the drinks and USD 0.98 to 2.30 for the food)
- Tree Top (price range: USD 1.90 to 6.80)
Where to Stay
As for where to stay, we recommend these places:
- Dragon Dive Komodo Hostel (starting price: USD 18/night for dorm beds, USD 90/night for private rooms)
This hostel offers two options: dorm beds and private rooms. It has a laid-back atmosphere, swimming pool, onsite restaurant and bar, and dive shop.
- Green Hill Boutique Hotel (starting price: USD 30/night)
This hotel is a nice and comfortable place to organize your activities and tours. If you want to stay in this hotel, you should book early as the rooms of this hotel tend to sell out quickly.
- Hotel Bintang Flores Island (starting price: USD 75/night)
If you want a 4-star accommodation, this hotel is one of your best options to stay. There are amenities like swimming pool, gym, free Wi-Fi, and more.
- Komodo Lodge (starting price: USD 30/night)
Komodo Lodge provides mostly the same amenities as the Green Hill Boutique Hotel. The rooms tend to sell out quickly as well.
If you are looking for amazing beaches, exotic animals, delicious culinary and breathtaking views, Komodo Island is the perfect place to visit. You will miss a lot if you don’t visit this island. So, be sure to put it in your must-visit list.
Planning a trip to the home of the dragons can be a bit difficult, though. Fortunately, there are lots of tour packages available. These tour packages will enable you to enjoy your trip thoroughly. No more worrying about stuff like transportation, what to eat and where to go.