Indonesia Travel Guide – In terms of its beauty, not many places in the world can beat the beauty of Raja Ampat Island. The archipelago consists of approximately 1,500 islands and islets, with crystal clear water and white sand. It is home to a huge number of marine lives. Below is our brief guide to get to the archipelago, things you can do there and where to stay.
How to Get to Raja Ampat Island
Getting to the archipelago isn’t simple. It takes work but rests assured, once you reached it you will be amazed by its beauty. Here’s how to get to the archipelago.
- There is no direct flight to the archipelago. What you need to do is to go to the closest airport to the archipelago. So, take a flight to Sorong via Jakarta, Ambon, Makassar or Manado.
- When you arrived at Sorong, purchase a permit visit at the Tourism Information Center if you haven’t already. Any visitors who want to visit the archipelago must have this permit. Then, take a taxi and go straight to the harbor.
- At the harbor, get on a public ferry that goes to Waisai, which is located on Waigeo Island. There are two kinds of ferry: one is fast and one is slow. The fast ferry should take about two hours to reach Raja Ampat while the slow one should take about four hours.
- At this point, the last thing to do is to get to your accommodation from Waisai. Your Raja Ampat Island accommodation should take care of your transfer to the hotel/homestay you booked. If they don’t, get on a taxi boat to get to your accommodation. To make things simpler, choose the accommodation that takes care of the transfer.
Things to Do in Raja Ampat
There are many things to do on and around the archipelago. For example,
If you want to see amazing islands, islets, jungles, and crystal clear water, just go to Pianemo island. You can get to this island on a boat. When you are there, go to the viewpoint to get the breathtaking view of the archipelago. There are about 340 steps, so prepare yourself.
Dive and Snorkel in Misool
Indonesia has many great diving and snorkeling spots. Raja Ampat Island is certainly among the best, if not the best in the country. When you dive or snorkel in Raja Ampat, you will be able to witness the diversity of the beauty of marine life the archipelago has. It is home to a thousand kinds of sharks, manta rays, coral and fish.
Since it is an archipelago, one of the best things you can do is to island hop. Each island is different. They have different beach and jungle landscapes. Best of all, the people who live on these islands are very friendly. You may even be greeted with dances and songs.
Trek the Jungle
Some of the jungle on the islands can be trekked, especially those on the bigger islands. On the jungles, you will see diverse wildlife that you may not find somewhere else. You can trek these jungles alone but we don’t recommend that. Having a guide is a better option, just to be safe.
When you are done with exploring Raja Ampat Island, just sit or lie down. There is no better experience than simply chilling out in a tropical archipelago like Raja Ampat. Enjoy the atmosphere and the calmness it brings.
Where to Stay
Here are some of the nice places to stay:
- Alternative Stay (starting price: USD 45/night for one person in a private bungalow)
Just as its name suggests, this hotel offers an alternative of staying on the archipelago. Rather than a room inside of a building, the visitors stay inside native huts with sea view outside.
- Hamu Eco Raja Ampat (starting price: USD 150/night, two persons and full board)
This hotel is located just above the waters of Waisai’s coastline. Although the room is quite basic, the waters under will help you relax after your activities.
- Raja Ampat Dive Lodge
If you really like diving and snorkeling, this lodge is for you. You can just go to the pier and see the vibrant marine life underwater.
- Waiwo Dive Resort (starting price: USD 250/night, two persons and full board)
This resort is located very close to the beach. As such, you will be able to enjoy the beautiful beach within a few steps.
The archipelago is not just full of exciting adventures, things to do and see, it is also rich with breathtaking views too. When you visit Indonesia, you should put the Raja Ampat Island on your list. It is a tourist destination that you certainly don’t want to miss.
As you can see above, getting to the archipelago requires a lot of work. What if you just want to get to the islands and enjoy them? Here’s a solution: book a tour package. With a tour package, you can truly enjoy the amazing archipelago, all without having to worry about accommodations.